School of Golf Program
Developed to teach golf in schools to students from kindergarten to grade 8
The School of Golf Program was created by the Rahim Gulam Golf Academy in partnership with the Professional Golf Teachers Association of America and CN Future Links. The program is focussed on using golf as the vehicle to deliver quality learning experiences to elementary and middle school students from Kindergarten to Grade 8.
Golf is a lifelong sport that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. I’ve been playing golf since I was 8 years old and I am a firm believer that starting at a young age will not only lay the foundation for skill development, but will also enhance other aspects of a student’s life by integrating life skills into the program.
More specifically, the program will teach students the fundamental movement skills related to the sport of golf in order for them to expand on their physical development. At the same time, the students will be learning life skills which are directly related to golf such as focus, perseverance, goal-setting, emotional regulation, honesty, sportsmanship, teamwork and respect.
The School of Golf Program will help students by:
- Developing physical proficiency in a variety of fundamental movement skills
- Enabling the learning of golf and golf-related games in order for students to continue to expand on their physical development
- Acting as a resource to help them develop the physical literacy skills necessary to acquire the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to lead healthy, active, and successful lives
- Exposing them to culturally diverse activities
- Being gender inclusive
- Providing a fun way to enjoy movement and effort
- Introducing them to golf, a sport they can enjoy for life
- Providing the avenue to continue their participation within golf outside of school
- Promoting active healthy living as part of a well-balanced life
- Providing age-appropriate assessment tools that students can use to determine their own progress and success
- Aiding in the development of life skills which can help students in other aspects of their daily lives
The Rahim Gulam Golf Academy will provide all the necessary equipment for the students involved in the program. The equipment is high quality, gymnasium-safe and, since weather can be an issue, every lesson can be taught either indoors in the school gymnasium or outdoors on the field. Thus, the program can be taught anytime during the school year. Moreover, since safety is also of the utmost importance, modified clubs are used and the balls used are a soft foam-like material that simulate actual golf ball flight.
The cost of the program is $10 per student. The Rahim Gulam Golf Academy will be providing every student with a total of three lessons each over the duration of the program. Depending on the number of students in the school, the program can run anywhere from 3 days up to 2 weeks and the length of each lesson can be tailored to fit your class schedule (typically, lessons are 40-60 minutes in length). Ideally, the size of each class (group) should be no more than 25 students at a time.
How to Book the Program
If you would like more information or would like to inquire about bringing the School of Golf Program to your school, please contact Rahim Gulam at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604.349.7787. Please note that the program can be done both indoors or outdoors so you can book for anytime during the school year. Bookings are now being taken for the 2016/2017 school year.
This year Rahim conducted a series of introductory workshops at Norgate Community Elementary. These instructional sessions were well received by students and the use of small children’s clubs was a novel way to teach the skills and meant all students could be engaged. The instructional sessions were modestly priced even for our school where there can be financial challenges. If you are looking for a calm, knowledgeable instructor who kept the students engaged in golf – a life time sport, I can recommend Rahim.Victor Elderton